"Many Malawians and Glaswegians have numerous obstacles to overcome but above all else they need to be given a chance.
Quality education has a major role to play in this and can make a different impacting on poverty.
A chance to believe in themselves and a chance to shine."
Maureen McKenna, Executive Director of Education
MLOL – continuing priorities:
Our priorities continue to be
- Introduce libraries into primary schools in Malawi
- Continue to deliver a participative leadership programme for senior managers and primary education advisers
- More teachers in partner primary and secondary schools using active approaches in their classes
- Children in partner primary and secondary schools playing a more active part in the life of the school – establishing pupil councils
- Continuing our partnership with Mary’s Meals to support children’s learning in Early Childhood Development Centres
- Children in Glasgow schools are learning more about Malawian culture and life through their partnerships with schools in Malawi
- Communicate effectively to promote the effectiveness of the programme to potential funders and supporters
Our inaugural MLOL Zikomo fundraising Ball, held at the Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow in February 2015 raised a staggering £50,000 for our project. The money was used in a variety of ways with a third each to MLOL, MYLOL and to the Prince and Princess of Wales (PPWH) new hospice appeal towards a young person’s bedroom and den.
The ball was also a way of raising the profile of MLOL to the council family and potential external stakeholders and business contacts. The next ball is pencilled in for Saturday 18 March 2017!